A cover letter is usually a one-page letter that you include to your job application. Everybody who is applying for this or that job should always send a cover letter alongside with the CV. You shouldn’t send a cover letter only in case it is clearly stated for no necessity.
While writing a cover letter, you have to work well on the following aspects:
- Introduce yourself
- Mention the job you are applying for
- Write about your professional skills and personal character skills
- Encourage the employer to take into account your application
- Include a call to action (either an interview or meeting)
Speaking about the volume of a cover letter, it should not be long. It is just a summary of your resume. So, there is no need to write more than one page.
It is worth mentioning that you have to write a brand-new cover letter for each job you apply for. The deal is that your cover letter should represent your awareness of all job details. In order to do this, you have to be specific when talking about your skills, abilities, experience. You also need to show that your personality and the level of your professional competence fully meet the employer`s requirements. Here are 3 easy steps to make your cover letter specific:
- Make sure you know exactly who to address your cover letter to
- Find out more information about the job, including all possible details
- Find out more information about the company, not only about the position
What to Include in Cover Letter
- Your personal information
At the top of your cover letter, you need to put your name contact details, like phone number and email address. If you are applying for a job, take into account that even your email address can make a first impression about you. So, try to make it professionally-sounded.
- The company`s name and contact details
Right under your personal details, you have to include the name of the person you are addressing your letter, their position at the company, the company`s name, the contact details.
- The position you are applying for
At the beginning of your cover letter, you need to state the position you want to get. You can do that either on a line by itself or in the opening paragraph.
- List of your skills and abilities
A brief summary of how your skills and experience match the position description should be added in your cover letter. A bullet list will work here.
- Summary of why you are the right person for this position
After stating your skills, you should briefly explain why you are suited for this job and how you can contribute to the company`s development.
While writing your cover letter, try to speak their language, depending on the job you are applying for. However, make sure you are using all words and terms correctly.
Your cover letter should be finished with a call to action. Ask an employer to keep going with your resume reading. The end of your cover letter should also contain a message that asks the company to contact you about the interview.
What Should Be Avoided While Writing a Cover Letter
There are some things that should never occur in your cover letter in case you want to succeed. They are as following:
- Mistakes and typing errors
- The whole resume included
- Using “I” too much
- Mentioning other job applications and desirable positions